How To Manage a fail
Every successful person had failed at one thing or the other at a point in time. If you are willing to improve on yourself or try new things then you are bound to fail at a point, if you do not quit however, you will eventually succeed.
When we fail to get something we have worked so hard for, we tend to believe it is the end, nothing else is worth trying. Know this, the end of one thing is always the beginning of another but you have to decide what begins at the end of your fail. What some have termed epic fail has turned out to be the spurring beginning of a big time success streak for others. Our fails should spur us to trying again and again and again, after all we have learned new things from our last fail that would definitely help us to do better, if we try again.
There are few tricks to managing the fallouts of a fail to ensure you don’t get drowned in what is just temporary.
1. See a fail as an opportunity to learn: Because you failed doesn’t necessary mean you are not good enough rather most fails are just pointers to the fact that there are some things you don’t know yet. When you embrace a fail as an opportunity to learn new things, it won’t weigh you down, rather it will increase your desire to succeed. Success is not some thing we pick from the streets like garbage, success requires work on the dream and most importantly work on self. There are certain things we will have to give up and some things we will have learn to become successful, fails teach that!
2. Keep your focus on your dreams and not your current situation: It is easy after a big loss to get lost in the weakness of that moment. For example, in a Football league a team won’t say because they have lost their first two matches, they have lost the hope of winning the title, they know there is still a long way to go! The chase after success is not a dash, it is a marathon! The focus has to be on the dream or goal not what is currently happening; attention on goals not circumstances. Loss or fail is just an event not the whole story, we need understand this. How the story plays out depend on what we make of the different events in the story.
3. Avoid people with depressing comments: After a fail, it is not uncommon to have people around in a pity party mood with depressing comments that can kill one’s zeal to give it another shot; avoid this! We have the power to control the atmosphere in and around us by the choices we make. Even when you don’t have control over what you hear, you can still decide on what and who you listen to and when you can’t control what and who you see, you can always control the ideas you meditate on. Exercise your power of choice as your life and dreams depend on it.
4. Keep yourself motivated at all times: It is said that motivation is like having bath, you need it all the time to keep you refreshed but after a fail, you even need it more. It is like after a workout, even if you had showered already in the day, you would still need another to feel alright. After fails are exactly when you need motivations the most because at these times we are most vulnerable, different thoughts cross our mind; of regrets, of disgust, of weariness, of doubts, of distrust and if we allow them to take root, they will destroy all the hard work we have already put in to get to where we are at the moment. So we need motivation to clear our head and set us back on track. Talk to your mentor, rub minds with people who have trodden the same path and came out successful.
5. Don’t forget where you are coming from: Fails have a way of making us forget past successes but we would have to remind ourselves where we started from and what has led us to where we are now. Most need for success are driven by our past sufferings, humiliations, frustrations and need to see things change, and if we keep these in mind and while not forgetting what hurdles we have surmounted along the way to get to this point, we will see that this fail is not enough to stop us. Like the Biblical Israelites, after all their long suffering in Egypt, they knew the Red sea was not big enough to send the back to where they are coming from, so somehow amazingly they matched through it.
Have a mindset of a winner, even when you fail see it as part of your learning process. Don’t quit, try again and again and again till you succeed!